Pilko & Associates News and Events
Browse our latest, newest Grey Paper or Pilko Presents. This page is your source for information, insights and upcoming events where you learn more about how to mitigate operational, EHS, and transaction risk and unlock value in your organization.
Click on any heading to learn more. Click on any video or paper icon to view and download.
WE PRESENT OUR INDUSTRY INSIGHTS
DID YOU KNOW?
Board Governance For Operational/EHS Risks
Pilko & Associates brings quarterly industry insights to Energy and Chemical leaders who are responsible for managing and mitigating Operational/EHS Risks.
BOARD GOVERNANCE FOR OPERATIONAL/EHS RISKS
Several factors are increasing the pressure on Board Members of Energy and Chemical companies to provide effective Governance of Operational/EHS Risks:
- The Energy Industry has suffered a major uptick in catastrophic incidents globally during the past three years. This uptick has resulted in record financial losses, physical injuries and damaged reputations. Although this trend has been global and impacted all segments of the Energy Industry, the North American Downstream industry has been walloped with a series of high-profile explosions and fires.
- This trend is likely to continue due to a combination of aging equipment; loss of experienced operators/managers to retirement; constrained maintenance budgets; ineffective processes for managing Risks; etc.
- The Supreme Court of the State of Delaware, where many energy companies are registered, ruled last month that Boards have a responsibility for ensuring that their companies are effectively managing their material Risks (See Skadden’s Client Update on this ruling). For the Energy and Chemical industries, Operational/EHS Risks can be devastating from a Financial, Reputational and Safety standpoint.
Our observation is that Board Governance for these Risks varies widely from company to company. Boards at some Energy companies provide effective oversight for these Risks and actively embrace evolving Best Practices for Governance. Other Boards lack the insights into the Operational/EHS Risks facing their company and do not provide the oversight required to avoid catastrophic incidents. The results are predictable.
The adage in Real Estate is that the three most important factors are “Location, Location, Location.” The three most important factors for avoiding Catastrophic Incidents are “Leadership, Leadership, Leadership.” And Leadership starts with the Board.
Boards regularly request that our team provide an objective Assessment of how effectively Risks are being managed — from the Board Room to the Control Room as well as the Organizational Capability of the organization to manage Risks on an ongoing basis. Once any Gaps are identified and prioritized, Action Plans can be developed to systematically close the Gaps and mitigate these Risks over time.
View our most recent video –
Greg Cochran and Mark Turri discuss Organizational Capability.
NEW GREY PAPER: OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE THROUGH PEOPLE
- What people are better at than technology
- Where technology has the advantage over people
- Where complexity creates unnecessary operational risk
- Work environment impact on performance and operational excellence
- How to solve recurring workforce challenges to achieve greater excellence
Download our recent Grey Paper to learn more by clicking on the image above.
LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW YOU CAN MITIGATE OPERATIONAL AND TRANSACTION RISK
We are the trusted Advisor to corporate officers and boards on mitigating Operational/EHS Risks and unlocking value in the global energy, chemical and other industrial companies.
GLOBAL FOOTPRINT - 78 COUNTRIES
Our global footprint includes advisors in 32 countries across six continents. We continue to grow our global presence to be where you need us to be.
We have hosted 60+ invitation-only Transactions Roundtables in Asia, Europe and North America since 2001 and 50+ members-only Governance Forums in North America.
PILKO & ASSOCIATES
We are the trusted Advisor to corporate officers and boards on mitigating Operational/EHS Risks and unlocking value for global energy, chemical and industrial companies.