In a 35-year career, Marty Brown held top positions at DuPont, Henkel/Cognis, and Champion Technologies before joining Pilko & Associates.
Marty has experience with technologies and market segments in both US and abroad. He has expertise in manufacturing, quality, EHS, human resources, and operational excellence. His approach is competency-based and results-driven. His work in Latin America and Asia deepened his understanding of international cultures and business.
At Pilko, Marty’s role as Senior Advisor/Consultant involves assisting clients in the areas of HSE, quality systems and operational excellence as well as buy and sell side due diligence for acquisitions from 100 Million to 8 Billion USD.
At DuPont, Marty served in various positions from Research Chemist to Plant Manager, Corporate Economic Analysis, Corporate Environmental Management, and Vice President of Manufacturing. His assignments took him to South America, Korea and the Pacific Rim.
After DuPoint, Marty worked at Henkel/Cognis as a Corporate and Senior Vice President for manufacturing, EHS, and quality & human resources for both North and South America. While handling the divestiture of Cognis chemicals division, Marty was responsible for 40 facilities across three different continents.
Marty also worked at Champion Technologies/Nalco Champion as Global VP with responsibilities for HSE, quality, security and regulatory affairs for a $1.5 billion energy sector specialty chemical company. There, he oversaw the integration of Champion and Nalco following the acquisition of these two companies by Ecolab.
Throughout his career, Marty has acquired expertise in acquisition due diligence, EHS compliance, business process improvement, Behavior Based Cultural organizational improvement and post-acquisition integration.
He has worked on a range of projects, including:
- Building, staffing, technology transfer and start-up: Managed construction and start-up of new plants in USA, Brazil and Korea.
- Transactions: Successfully led acquisitions, divestitures and turn-arounds for both DuPont and Henkel, where, for example, he merged six unrelated acquisitions into a strong competence-driven regional company that routinely met or exceeded EBIT targets.
- Team-based management systems: Excelled in implementation of the EHS management systems that took DuPont to the level of a top-tier EHS performer. Implemented Responsible Care, ISO-9001, ISO-14001, ISO-18001 and Six Sigma at both Henkel and Champion Technologies.
- Enterprise Resource Management: Successfully implemented SAP across Henkel’s North American operations, resulting in a savings of $28 million from an operating budget of $215 million.
- OSHA PSM: Implemented OSHA PSM compliance systems across Henkel’s U.S. facilities to assure safe handling of all hazardous materials.
- Cognis divestiture: Managed the divestiture of Cognis by Henkel’s Chemicals Division. This project involved 40 facilities on three continents.
- Pilko & Associates – Worked due diligence for both buy and sell side of transactions from 100 Million to well in excess of 10 Billion USD. Worked extensive Management Systems implementation and improvement projects in the Chemical and Energy Sectors, helping clients lower risk profiles while achieving improved efficiency.
Education and Certifications
B.S. in Chemistry and Physics, University of Tennessee
Continuing Education in Six-Sigma, Human Resources and Manufacturing/Operations Excellence
Fluent in Portuguese.