Steve Mason brings to Pilko 30+ years of Operations experience in the energy and chemical industries. Steve has a passion for both process and occupational safety and challenges for improvements from the leadership to the front line. He has also been an active leader in the industry process safety initiatives. In addition, he has a practical approach to developing corporate management systems that are understood and valued at all levels of the organization and, most importantly – deliver results!
Steve most recently worked at Cornerstone Chemical Company, where he was Operations Manager responsible and accountable for all aspects of the area’s safe operations. He developed Maintenance and Operations improvement plans to address reliability and cost concerns. Steve also led Operations planning and execution for their March ’22 Sulfuric Acid Turnaround and led a culture transformation team focused on Learning and Transparency.
Prior to that, Steve filled the role of Operations Integration Consultant providing operations integration support for the Diamond Green Diesel Project with IMTT St. Rose:
- Ensuring DOT PHMSA Compliance – new management system for the site
- Coordinating procedure development and training for new processes and equipment
- Overseeing automation control design and implementation
- Guiding commissioning and start-up plan and execution
Steve was also Business Team Leader, Process Control Manager at PBF Energy Chalmette Refinery. There he was responsible and accountable for the safe, environmentally compliant, reliable, cost-efficient, and optimized operation of the asset area. He managed technical coordination between engineering and specialist disciplines. Operational areas included: FCC, HF Alky, Sulfur Treating, HDS, Crude Units, Coking, and utilities. He spent six months as Process Control Manager before moving into an operations role.
Steve spent most of his career as Manager, Operational Excellence North America at LyondellBasell, and Asset Manager/Operations Superintendent at LyondellBasell’s Houston Refinery. He:
- Led the North America OE group responsible for supporting and developing the global Operational Excellence Management System, including corporate standards and related auditing activities to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Led 13 Process Safety and Operational Excellence audits
- Performed over 40 Audits with focus on Process and Occupational Safety Management, Operating Discipline, and Leadership Competency
- Provided recommendations to facilities and corporate senior management regarding conformance and continuous improvement. Used background in manufacturing and health, safety, and environmental (HSE) to evaluate conformance to standards and appropriate HSE regulations.
- Established and led the Global Operating Practices Network – a network for Operating Managers at all manufacturing facilities.
- Coordinated the consistent implementation of capital spending of global HSE programs affecting occupational, process safety, and mechanical integrity.
At LyondellBasell, he held other roles earlier in his career such as Asset Manager, Operations Superintendent, Planning Supervisor, and Advanced Process Control Team Lead.
Steve received his BS Chemical Engineering from Louisiana State University – Baton Rouge, LA.